Advice for one night heater in a Caddy

Diskutiere Advice for one night heater in a Caddy im Forum Allgemeine Fragen und Themen im Bereich ---> Die Fahrzeuge - Hello All! First post, and first advice required... and sorry if I post in English... :oops: I really would like to have your advice about...
A

Anonymous

Hello All!

First post, and first advice required... and sorry if I post in English... :oops:

I really would like to have your advice about this problem I have:
when I go to a race with my bike, I and my girlfriend sleep one night in our Caddy Kombi Maxi.
So I really would like to mount an heater (standheizung ?) in the Caddy.
Problem is that i preferred to mount a water heater, like the Eberspacher Hydronic, but someone told me that water heater are not good for camping... why?
Is it for battery consumption?
What can you tell me about this?
Remember that i would use the heater ONLY for one night.

DANKE ! :mrgreen:

A

Anonymous

Hi Wolf,

welcome to Hochdachkombi.de. I am so free and translate your text into German; might be easier to understand for a lot of our users. If you should have any questions or problems regarding the answers you might get, please feel free to contact me via pn (personal mail) and I will translate the answers into English; if necessary.

Have fun and cheers from France.
Martin

An Alle :zwinkernani: .

Wolf hat eine Frage und braucht eure Hilfe....
Von Zeit zu Zeit benutzt Wolf seinen Caddy Maxi als Campingmobil (immer nur fuer eine Nacht) und wuerde gerne eine Standheizung installieren. Sein Problem ist, das er gerne eine Heizung haette wie die "Eberspacher Hydronic" (mit Wasserheizer), wo ihm aber von abgeraten wurde, da sie sich anscheinend nicht fuers Camping eignen wuerde. Seine Frage ist nun, warum sie sich nicht eignen soll. Energieverbrauch (Batterie)?
Wer sich also uebers Thema auslassen kann, bitte seit so nett und tut es hier. Auch auf Deutsch. Ich werde, falls erforderlich, Wolf mit der Uebersetzung helfen.

Vielen Dank

A

Anonymous

Strider schrieb:
Hi Wolf,

welcome to Hochdachkombi.de. I am so free and translate your text into German; might be easier to understand for a lot of our users. If you should have any questions or problems regarding the answers you might get, please feel free to contact me via pn (personal mail) and I will translate the answers into English; if necessary.

Have fun and cheers from France.
Martin

Martin.... what can I say..... THANKS A LOT ! :rund: :rund: :rund: :rund:

Ciao ! :bier:

Wolfango

An Alle :zwinkernani: .

Wolf hat eine Frage und braucht eure Hilfe....
Von Zeit zu Zeit benutzt Wolf seinen Caddy Maxi als Campingmobil (immer nur fuer eine Nacht) und wuerde gerne eine Standheizung installieren. Sein Problem ist, das er gerne eine Heizung haette wie die "Eberspacher Hydronic" (mit Wasserheizer), wo ihm aber von abgeraten wurde, da sie sich anscheinend nicht fuers Camping eignen wuerde. Seine Frage ist nun, warum sie sich nicht eignen soll. Energieverbrauch (Batterie)?
Wer sich also uebers Thema auslassen kann, bitte seit so nett und tut es hier. Auch auf Deutsch. Ich werde, falls erforderlich, Wolf mit der Uebersetzung helfen.

Vielen Dank

A

Anonymous

You are very welcome Wolf. I just hope that you will get the answers you are looking for.
Have a nice evening and talk to you soon.
Cheers.

A

Anonymous

Strider schrieb:
Wer sich also uebers Thema auslassen kann, bitte seit so nett und tut es hier. Auch auf Deutsch.
Bin mal so frei - mein 08/15-Wörterbuch bringt mich nicht wirklich weiter; also:

Standheizungen sind üblicherweise dafür ausgelegt, Kühlkreislauf und Innenraum vor Fahrtantritt vorzuheizen - mehrstündiger Dauerbetrieb wie er Wolf vorschwebt droht in der Tat die Batterie an die Grenzen ihrer Leistungsfähigkeit zu führen. Abhilfe schafft eine zweite Batterie, die über ein Trennrelais mit dem Fahrzeugnetz verbunden ist - so wird das z.B. bei größeren Transportern und Kleinbussen (auch von VW) verbaut. Damit kann die Standheizung laufen, bis diese Batterie am Ende ist, ohne die Starterbatterie zu belasten. Bei laufendem Motor werden dann beide Batterien geladen.

lg
c.s.

Ach ja: :willkommen:

G

Moin,

was Wolf_Tm250 braucht, ist eine Heizung mit Gebläse, die den Innenraum heizt und nicht den Motor. Von der Bauart wie im Wohnwagen oder VW Bulli Typ2.

A

Anonymous

Hallo
siehe mal bei websto nach,die haben eine Gebläseheizung,Airtop 2000,mit Benzin oder Dieselbetrieb.Kann als Dauerstandheizung genutzt werden.

A

Anonymous

Hi Wolf,
I will send you the translations tomorrow morning. I hope you can wait till then.
Cheers,
Martin

A

Anonymous

Strider schrieb:
Hi Wolf,
I will send you the translations tomorrow morning. I hope you can wait till then.
Cheers,
Martin

No problem Martin... I just find out that Babelfish translator works well from German to English... so no need for you to translate them ! ;-)

Thanks again ! :mrgreen:

A

Anonymous

Hello,
so if I understood correctly from your replies, I could have 2 choices:

1- air heater, like Air Top
2- water heater, like Hydronic, with 2 batteries, OR 1 bigger battery?, and a relay that will stop heater function when voltage becomes too low

Am I correct ?

If number 2 is correct, I'd prefer in this way:
water heater is cheaper, and moreover its installation is less invasive because you use standard car's ventilation system.

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Hi Wolf,

that sounds good. I hope the answers will help you. If you should have more questions or Babelfish is deserting you please let me know.
Have a good day.
Cheers

I have just seen your reply. Basically yes, that are the choices; tha Air Top version or a water heater with an additional battery. The water heating system is not designed for heating the interior of the car over an extended amount of time.
As far as I understood the answers (I am not really the handyman for these subjects :lol: ) the basic recommendation was to go for solution 1 with the Air Top system.

B

Basti

Mitglied
But you have to consider: The Hydronic designed to heat up the engine, the cooling circuit as well as the interior. This takes a lot of power from the batterie and i don't think that it's designed as a permanent heater...

Ich häng mich gleich mal hier mit rein: Hat hier schon mal einer oben genannten Webasto AIR 2000 in seinen HDK verbaut? Die größeren Modelle sind ja für Außen-, wie Innenmontage geeignet, beim 2000er hab ich keinen Hinweis auf Innenmontage gesehen? Wo baut man den außen an? Ist er sehr laut im Betrieb?

Viele Fragen vom angehenden Wintercamper: Basti :mrgreen:
EDIT: Alle sind heut schneller als ich... :-(

A

Anonymous

Strider schrieb:
As far as I understood the answers (I am not really the handyman for these subjects :lol: ) the basic recommendation was to go for solution 1 with the Air Top system.

Basti schrieb:
But you have to consider: The Hydronic designed to heat up the engine, the cooling circuit as well as the interior. This takes a lot of power from the batterie and i don't think that it's designed as a permanent heater...

Yes, understood... thanks! :)

A

Anonymous

Hi Wolf TM250,

The water heater is designed for preheating the cooling system of the engine. This kind of heater has a high current consumption.
I estimate two ampere for the heater and roundabout eight ampere for the car ventilation.
If my estimation nearly correct you need a minimum of 80Ah for you second battery for heating eight hours. After them your battery is totally empty.

In your case I would prefer the AirTop. I think it´s more suitable for your requirements.

But in both of these possibilities it make sense to install a second battery to reduce the risk of consumption your starter battery.

Hope this help a little.

cu
74eskimo

A

Anonymous

Die größeren Modelle sind ja für Außen-, wie Innenmontage geeignet, beim 2000er hab ich keinen Hinweis auf Innenmontage gesehen? Wo baut man den außen an? Ist er sehr laut im Betrieb?

Hallo Basti,

die AirTop2000 kann sowohl außen als auch innen montiert werden. Für die Außenmontage gibt es einen "Blechkasten" von Webasto zur Montage.
Montiert wird das Ding dann eigentlich Unterflur. (sofern Platz vorhanden ist)
Bzgl. Lautstärke ist darauf zu achten das die Dosierpumpe schwimmend montiert wird, da sich sonst die Vibrationen auf das Fahrzeug übertragen... und dann ist es laut.

Gruß
Eskimo

A

Anonymous

74eskimo schrieb:
Hi Wolf TM250,

The water heater is designed for preheating the cooling system of the engine. This kind of heater has a high current consumption.
I estimate two ampere for the heater and roundabout eight ampere for the car ventilation.
If my estimation nearly correct you need a minimum of 80Ah for you second battery for heating eight hours. After them your battery is totally empty.

In your case I would prefer the AirTop. I think it´s more suitable for your requirements.

But in both of these possibilities it make sense to install a second battery to reduce the risk of consumption your starter battery.

Hope this help a little.

cu
74eskimo

Very clear thanks !!

To tell the truth, I'll need the heater just from March to October, for my races... and this is a not so cold period in Italy...
so I still think it would be enough a 2 hours heating before sleeping, and 1 hour heating in the morning... :mrgreen:

Basti schrieb:

YES ! :mrgreen:

B

Basti

Mitglied
@Eskimo: Bei Außenmontage müsste man also einen Blechkasten an den Unterboden montieren, dort hinein den Airtop und anschliessen noch die Heizschläuche durch den Unterboden ins Innere verlegen? Das ist ein ziemlich grober Eingriff... Mmhh...

Wenn ich es andererseits im Innenraum montiere, was passiert mit den Abgasen? Die muss ich ja irgendwie nach außen bringen?

Danke schonmal im voraus!

Basti

A

Anonymous

Bei Außenmontage müsste man also einen Blechkasten an den Unterboden montieren, dort hinein den Airtop und anschliessen noch die Heizschläuche durch den Unterboden ins Innere verlegen?

Yep, die Schläuche für die Luftansaugung und für den Ausströmer müssen ins Fahrzeuginnere verlegt werden. (Aussendurchmesser der Schläuche ca. 64 mm) Ebenso muß natürlich der Kabelbaum noch nach innen verlegt werden. Die Brennluftansaugung und der Schalldämper werden dann einfach am Unterboden montiert.

Wenn ich es andererseits im Innenraum montiere, was passiert mit den Abgasen? Die muss ich ja irgendwie nach außen bringen?

Bei Montage im Fahrzeuinnenraum muss dagegen die Brennluftansaugung und der Schalldämpfer durch ein Loch nach aussen geführt werden.

Vom Aufwand ist natürlich die Montage im Innenraum einfacher. Bei Unterflurmontage wird´s grade bei kleinen Autos doch ziemlich eng alles unterzukriegen.

http://www.webasto-reisemobil.de/de-de/heizen/air-top/einbaumoeglichkeiten.html

Gruß
Eskimo

Thema: Advice for one night heater in a Caddy